"WITH LUZ EN CASA AMAZONIA WE OFFER A SUSTAINABLE ELECTRIFICATION SOLUTION IN THE LARGEST RAINFOREST OF THE PLANET"
In 2015, we bring Luz en Casa to Amazonian communities, for which we developed a new electricity delivery model, to implement with an ambitious programme to deploy progressively. We started in the Napo river basin, by executing a pilot project to validate the technology and management model proposed, which gave results of high satisfaction of the users with the offered service and verifying, thus, the validity of the proposal.
Then, we began the escalation of the programme along the Napo and, once it ends, we will have a basin model to replicate in other Peruvian rivers, counting on the collaboration of other organizations working in the Amazonia. By this way, we will extend a clean solution of electrification for very remote communities, as well as we have made possible minimizing the use of fossil fuels, candles, oil lamps or batteries for torches, radios, etc., which is impacting positively in their health, economy, education...
344,530 h/yearFor additional activities at home
53,500 soles/yearSavings in energy expenditure (14,445€/year)
42,200 h/yearFor doing additional homework
0.4 yearsExtension of schooling in primary education
11%Increase of students in secondary education
2.20 t/year batterynon-controlled disposal avoided
43 t/year CO2emissions avoided
HOUSEHOLDS WITH ELECTRICITY SERVICE
H/YEAR AVAILABLE LIGHTING
CONTEXT AND BEGINNINGS OF LUZ EN CASA AMAZONIA
- The access to electricity for all in the Amazonian communities is not feasible by conventional means.
- These communities are settled in remote locations with exclusively fluvial access, extreme weather & rain conditions, and several social conflicts.
- The grid extension to those settlements implies high investment, operation & maintenance costs. In addition, it impacts negatively in the environment.
- Within this setting, we proposed an innovative electricity delivery model with renewable energy and technical-economic sustainability and affordability criteria.
- We conceived a pilot project to validate the technology -third generation solar home systems- and the management model -electricity service in return of an affordable fee of S/.30 to pay every 90 days through a Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) system-.
- This service is given supported on Centros Luz en Casa located strategically in the operation area.
- The place selected to start this project was Peru, where we execute Luz en Casa since 2009, and specifically the Napo river basin, where we can develop synergies with other entities working in that area.
LUZ EN CASA AMAZONIA PROJECTS
Acciona.org advances in electrifying Amazonian communities28/09/2018
50 new households have the electricity service offered by acciona.org, in almost 20 localities in the Napo river basin, in the Peruvian Amazonia. This service is going to positively impact on the families’ quality of life with benefits for their health, education, economy and environment.