"WE REDUCE THE RISK OF ENERGY POVERTY THROUGH COLLECTIVE SELF-CONSUMPTION"
In 2022 we implement our first collective self-consumption project at San Juan del Puerto (Huelva). We build a solar photovoltaic system to produce energy to reduce the risk of energy poverty of families living in the municipality and the municipal carbon footprint of some municipal buildings.
The solar photovoltaic station installed has a power of almost 100 kWp and it is located on the roof of the Municipal Sports Center. Part of the energy produced will be distributed to some households and the rest to public buildings.
acciona.org is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the system during the concession period. On the one hand, it is used to reduce the electricity bill of households in risk of energy poverty. On the other hand, it is used for the consumption of public buildings, ensuring an economic saving for the municipality compared to its conventional rate.
This project is the first one of the acciona.org's proposal for a new model to provide affordable access to basic electricity service to households in Spain.
HOUSEHOLDS REDUCE THEIR ELECTRICITY BILLS
PUBLIC BUILDINGS BENEFITED
- The municipality of San Juan del Puerto has a population of 9,411 and an unemployment rate of 22.77%.
- The local council has identified a number of families in risk of energy poverty.
- acciona.org proposes a model based on collective self-consumption, to guarantee affordable access to electricity service for these families.
- A total of 43 households have been selected by the Social Services area of the local council according to previously established socioeconomic guideline.
- The photovoltaic system is installed close to the benefited households.
- The families have attended awareness-raising workshops about efficient energy uses.
- The energy not consumed by the households, will be used by 9 public buildings.