MULTI-YEAR PROGRAMME FOR INSTALLATION OF SOLAR HOME SYSTEMS
acciona.org planned Luz en Casa as a multi-year programme to make easier the involvement of other public, private and civil society actors -specially the users-, and so having the necessary institutional, managerial, technical and economic resources to achieve the target set: 3,000 installations in operations that were estimated to achieve the break-even point (economic sustainability).
With this aim, we have executed the following yearly projects, which go beyond of installing solar home systems (SHS) to provide households with electricity and which share the deployment of a series of activities indicated below.
Demo Project10 SHS installed. Year 2009
Pilot Project600 SHS installed. Year 2010
LC550 Project700 SHS installed. Year 2012
LC1700 Project1,700 SHS installed. Year 2013
LC1700 Extension900 SHS installed. Year 2014
Year of starting Luz en Casa
Year when achieving the sustainability
We pre-identify localities where our actions may be of interest, and we look for the participation and engagement of their authorities and population. Once they accept to be part of the programme, we promote in every community the formation of a Photovoltaic Electrification Committee (so called CEF) with the following conditions:
- Its members are elected by and among the community.
- It must be composed of three persons at least -president, treasurer and secretary-, and one of them must to be a woman.
- It has to be in charge for free of:
- interlocution between its community and acciona.org,
- inspections of the installations in its community to verify the correct use, and
- collection of the monthly fees, if the community decides to do in this way.
- It has to be officialy supported by the corresponding local authority.
Development of the service delivery model
We designed, for the first project, and revise, for the following ones:
- the technological model with solar home systems (SHS) of second generation -storage in lead batteries- as they are usually called now,
- the multi-stakeholder management model involving different actors such as local authorities, electricity regulatory body, users, partners..., and
- the economic model based on the collection of an affordable fee in return of the offered service.
Start-up of the installations
Besides the purchase, distribution, installation and start-up of the SHS, in every community we develop the following training sessions:
- Training of CEF members in the responsibilities mentioned before.
- Training of users where, in a graphic way, we explain their rights and duties in the contracted service: maintenance of the system, allowed and not-allowed uses, payment meeting, what to do in case of failure...