“WE APPLY HOME SOLUTIONS OF ELECTRIFICATION TO REFUGEE CAMPS AND ALSO EXTEND THEM TO THEIR HOST COMMUNITIES”
The “Alianza Shire. Access to energy for refugees and host communities” project implements on-grid and off-grid electricity service solutions in the Shire refugee camps and their host communities (Ethiopia).
acciona.org is responsible of the off-grid solutions: provision of third generation solar home systems (3GSHS) with prepayment and start of microbusinesses to offer technical services to 3GSHS users, in Hitsats, Adi Harush and Mai-Aini refugee camps and host communities.
Now we are designing the most adequate solution, by revising our electricity service delivery model –in technological, economic and managerial aspects– in order to tailor it to the Ethiopian & Humanitarian setting. To implement it we rely on the personnel of organizations working in the operation area; we are going to train that personnel and monitor their work so as they become responsible of, among other activities, giving the training sessions to both users to meet the 3GSHS service conditions and entrepreneurs to offer supply and service for those 3GSHS.
This project is co-funded by the European Union, through a Delegation Agreement within the framework of the Emergency Trust Fund for Africa-EUTF. This action replicates and extend that carried out with the first Alianza Shire project, and it arises from the join of forces of the same organizations we developed that project: the Technical University of Madrid's Innovation and Technology for Development Centre (itdUPM), the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID), Iberdrola, Signify, and acciona.org Foundation.
REFUGEE CAMPS AND HOST COMMUNITIES
3GSHS WITH PREPAYMENT
BUSINESSES TO GIVE SERVICE TO 3GSHS
PROJECT IN REFUGEE CAMPS AND HOST COMMUNITIES
- Almost 5% of refugees in Ethiopia -about 40,000 people- lives in the surroundings of the principal town in Northwest Tigray, Shire, coming from Eritrea according to the last data published by UNHCR.
- The Ethiopian government has adopted nine commitments to improve the life of refugees, by integrating them with the local people. This gives a favourable scenario to develop projects to empower those people.
- This is the reason of this new “Alianza Shire” project to have more ambitious goal and scope than the first one.
- This action will be executed within three years involving, besides the Alianza Shire partners, other actors working in the camps and the rest of the the area of operation, especially UNHCR and the Dutch NGO ZOA, as well as ARRA (Ethiopian Agency for Refugees) and others.
- More information at www.alianzashire.org.